Learn if a Dental Implant Is Right for you
When you have a missing or damaged tooth, we know getting a strong, natural-looking replacement from a dental professional you trust is a top priority.
At Sheridan Dental Centre, we specialize in dental implant procedures. Our experienced periodontist is fully licensed to provide you with the care you deserve.
What Is a Dental Implant?
A dental implant is a titanium replacement for the root of a natural tooth. The implant is inserted into the jaw bone and completed with a natural-looking crown. Implants can replace one or more teeth in patients with good oral health and they can also be used to anchor bridges and dentures.
We find that many of our patients prefer dental implants over traditional bridges and dentures. They prefer the look and find them more comfortable. And unlike a bridge or denture, the implant doesn’t need to be attached to another tooth.
The Dental Implant Procedure
If your dentist agrees you’re a good candidate for a dental implant, you can expect more than one appointment, plus a few months for healing in between. Overall, the process will take several months.
While every patient is unique, the process typically looks like this:
- You’ll have a comprehensive dental exam, including x-rays or other imaging, and your dentist will discuss a treatment plan with you.
- If necessary, a damaged tooth will be removed and your jawbone will be prepared. If you require a jawbone graft, it will require a few months of healing afterward.
- In a surgical procedure, your dental implant will be placed and you’ll take a few months for your implant and jawbone to grow together.
- You may need a minor outpatient procedure to have a post placed if that wasn’t part of your implant procedure. This is what the crown will attach to. You’ll need about two weeks to heal afterward.
- Finally, you’ll have impressions taken of your mouth so that your custom crown can be crafted in our lab and placed.
Recovery Time for Dental Implants
The entire process of getting a dental implant can take several months to ensure your jawbone and gums have adequate time to heal along the way.
Once the implant heals, our patients say it’s like having their own teeth. It’s not a surprise that implants have become a preferred choice for many patients.
Caring For Your Dental Implants
In the days following your procedures, you might have some of the typical after-effects associated with any kind of dental surgery, like swelling, bruising, discomfort, or minor bleeding.
Avoid chewing hard candy or ice, as they might damage your crown. And, of course, keep smiling.
IMPLANT VS BRIDGE
Our Precision Services
There’s plenty of convenient parking at our location at First Pickering Place.
- Unit 12, 1550 Kingston Rd
- Pickering, ON L1V 1C3
- Monday: 8:00 AM – 8:30 PM
- Tuesday: 8:00 AM – 8:30 PM
- Wednesday: 8:00 AM – 8:30 PM
- Thursday: 8:00 AM – 8:30 PM
- Friday: 8:00 AM – 3:00 PM
- Saturday: 8:00 AM – 3:00 PM