Get a Good Night’s Sleep Again
Bugging the person who sleeps next to you isn’t the only reason to ask your dentist about your snoring. Sleep apnea is a potentially serious sleep disorder that affects more than 5 million Canadians.
Book an appointment today for an assessment from your dentist that can help you find effective solutions.
Symptoms of Sleep Apnea
Obstructive sleep apnea happens when your airway is blocked or narrowed during sleep. It can happen 5 to 30 times per hour while you’re asleep.
Signs of sleep apnea can include:
- Loud snoring (though not everyone experiences this)
- Feeling tired in the morning and throughout the day
- Waking up with a headache
- Gasping, choking, or difficulty breathing during the night
Know The Risks & Treatments
You can do some things to manage your risk of sleep apnea, but others you can’t change. Risk factors can include:
- Being male: men are more 2 to 3 times more likely to have sleep apnea than women
- Family history of sleep apnea
- Excess weight
- Smoking: smokers are 3 times more likely to have sleep apnea
- Alcohol or sedative use
- Certain medical conditions, including diabetes, congestive heart failure, high blood pressure, and Parkinson’s Disease
Treatment For Sleep Apnea
Your dentist can make some lifestyle recommendations to help ease mild sleep apnea symptoms, including:
- A healthy weight loss regime, if relevant
- Sleeping on your side
- Avoiding alcohol and sedatives before bed
Our Precision Services
There’s plenty of convenient parking at our location at First Pickering Place.
- Unit 12, 1550 Kingston Rd
- Pickering, ON L1V 1C3
- Monday: 8:00 AM – 8:30 PM
- Tuesday: 8:00 AM – 8:30 PM
- Wednesday: 8:00 AM – 8:30 PM
- Thursday: 8:00 AM – 8:30 PM
- Friday: 8:00 AM – 3:00 PM
- Saturday: 8:00 AM – 3:00 PM